Monday 15 January 2018

Desperately Seeking.......

Makower spotted swifts in dark salmon

For some years now DD and her crew have bought us tickets for the Twinwood Festival in August. A real celebration of music, dancing and vintage fashion from the 40s through to the 60s. Each year my SIL and I decide what we're going to wear and start researching patterns and fabrics, I'm afraid that there's not many actual vintage dresses out there that would fit us now so we choose vintage patterns and retro fabric to create our hopefully authentic look.

However since we are real converts now and would buy the tickets anyway, this year we have been given tickets for a similar new festival at Newark in June. So now we have two outfits to find (actually that's four as our other halves are now very happy to join in the fun!)

Well last year I decided to get a bit more organised and started making a a vintage dress which I have made before.

Butterick B5281


 A completely different fabric this time. My first version I cheated a bit and made in a jersey to try and avoid the side zip called for, but this time I was using a woven cotton fabric Makower spotted swifts in dark salmon and intended to make it up exactly as shown in the pattern instructions.
So far so good. I must have cut the dress out last  September, and I got as far as making the bodice before other commitments meant it got shelved. This has been on my tailors dummy ever since.




Yesterday I decided I would finish it ready for the Newark festival........

I made up and attached the sleeves, exactly as instructed to do, even though I was itching to just use the overlocker! And then I came to the skirt.......Blizzards!!!!!! and even more blizzards.....

The front skirt is made of two separate pieces cut out singly and how I've done it I have no idea, but I have managed to cut one of them with my fabric reversed! I can only think that I must have been having trouble fitting the pieces in and have turned the pattern piece over. Fine if you're cutting something on folded fabric but absolutely useless when it's only supposed to be cut on a single layer .

So here's my call of desperation


If anyone has even a metre of this fabric in the dark salmon stashed away, would you please....pretty please.... let me know if I may purchase it from you.......


I really don't want to start again, I do love the dress so far. but I cant find any on the Internet so I am in your hands.

Hope your latest projects are going a bit better than mine.

TTFN
Jenny xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi thanks for stopping by, but even better say hello. I love to read your comments and its also a way for me to meet you. I do read every coment but don't always have the time to find your email or web, so do pop back if you have asked a question as I will answer it here.xx