Monday 9 April 2018

Selfish sewing


After spending weeks sewing costumes, I finally decided it was time to do some selfish sewing. I’d bought some lovely jersey knit from Girl Charlee and wanted to see how it made up.


 I'm  not a big tee shirt fan having completely the wrong figure type. Most off the peg tee shirts either fit at the top and are too baggy around my hips or fit well at the hips and much too snug over the bust.
Anyway I found a free pattern in Dressmaker magazine for some wardrobe basics. Three tops and some draw string trousers that looked both practical and comfy.


I’d only bought a metre of each of the fabrics I had chosen, just to check their suitability for me, i.e. not clingy, see through etc. so I started with the sleeveless version shown on the model. I checked the size recommended for my measurements, and then the finished garment size. I don't like my tops too fitted, neither do I like them baggy and as there was quite a good amount of ease I opted to make a size smaller and I'm so glad I did.



I'm really pleased with how they turned out. Comfortable, just skimming the body and not clinging at all. The fabric feels so nice, I cant wait to choose some more!

Having said all that, the same cannot be said for the trousers on the same pattern. I wear a commercial UK12, but according to the pattern sizing I should make a 14/16. I decided to do a wearable toile, cutting out the size 14 and guess what! Awful!! The silhouette was nothing like the picture. Enormous wide legs and the top wouldn't have gone amiss as a clown costume.
But I would not be defeated and set about recutting and fitting and in the end landed up making an 8/10. Believe me when I say that is definitely not me. The legs are still more straight than slim, but I think this is the style and they now work. I just need to find some medium weight cotton stretch fabric in bright colours and I'll be all set for when the sun eventually shines.

Do you have any good recommendations for fabric for these casual pants. I would like something that I can roll up when its warmer, so it doesn't need to be too thick.

Have you found any give away patterns that have become your favourites? I know this will be one of mine. I might try the sleeved one next.

have a lovely week whatever you are up to.

TTFN
Jenny xx

3 comments:

  1. Touche. Solid arguments. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny...I hope you are well. I think your tops are perfect and suit you rather well. Always think of you and how super talented you are when I look at the beautiful cushion you made for me...no one else is allowed to touch it. Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your style is so unique in comparison to other folks I have read
    stuff from. Thank you for posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I will just book mark this page.

    ReplyDelete

Hi thanks for stopping by, but even better say hello. I love to read your comments and its also a way for me to meet you. I do read every coment but don't always have the time to find your email or web, so do pop back if you have asked a question as I will answer it here.xx