Wednesday 5 November 2014

On my doorstep

Its so true what they say that you rarely see whats under your nose.
We try to get out and about every couple of weeks and are often scratching around to find somewhere we haven't visited.  But twice in the last few weeks we have found glorious places so near to home I am almost ashamed to say we have not been before.
Today I will share out visit to Wollaton Park in Nottingham.






The day we chose followed a very wet and windy Saturday and we were expecting it to be overcast with a fair chance of more rain, but to our delight the day dawned bright, crisp, even sunny and amazingly warm!
Wollaton Hall was designed by Robert Smythson and completed in 1588 (the year of the Spanish Armada) for Sir Francis Willoughby. The exterior remains much as is was originally and is considered to be a masterpiece.
The interior was remodelled in 1642 following a fire and again in the 18th and 19th Centuries by Sir Jeffry Wyatville for 6th Lord Middleton.
It opened to the public in 1926 and is home to the city's Natural History Museum.
As well as the stunning house, whose period rooms you can visit by joining one of the guided tours, the grounds are well worth a visit. Stunning in Autumn they would make an excellent place for Summer picnics, with acres of space (approximately 500 now, though originally it was 790 acres). There are deer and plenty of wildlife and birds as well as formal gardens.










My post is a little picture heavy, but I hope it conveys the space and delightful variety of vistas. We thoroughly enjoyed the visit and indeed the Natural History Museum and will certainly be keeping this in our places to revisit book for next Spring and Summer.

Have a lovely week and I hope the sun keeps shining a little longer for you as it certainly is here today.

TTFN
Jenny xx

6 comments:

  1. I used to live in Wollaton, one side (mine) of the street was in Wollaton, the other in Radford!
    I've picknicked,walked, jogged,been up in a tethered hot air balloon, visited shows,the museum,done charity events and all manner of other stuff in Wollaton Park (all legal - dull!).
    Thanks for sharing the pics of it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I wrote this post I have been away for a few days so sorry for the delay in my reply. I think if I lived that close I certainly would be using the park on a regular basis too. It is stunning, a real oasis on the edge of the City. X

      Delete
  2. What an amazing historic house! It reminds me of 'Downton Abbey' ! And what glorious autumn colour in the grounds.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The design is so like many other stately homes used in these period dramas. I love them and even more when filming brings to life the way they would have been used! X

      Delete
  3. We would not be able to find beautiful old buildings like this one in my part of the world. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so lucky in my little corner of the UK to be surrounded by houses like this. Seven that I know of under 40 miles away!

      Delete

Hi thanks for stopping by, but even better say hello. I love to read your comments and its also a way for me to meet you. I do read every coment but don't always have the time to find your email or web, so do pop back if you have asked a question as I will answer it here.xx